It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sains 25% Again
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:23 pm 

Just ordered £100 worth, free delivery. Happy as Larry. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Sains 25% Again
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:31 pm 

Bah! ******* Sainsburys...

Arrived with loads of partials and several not available. Also ordered 8 bottles of low-alcohol cider and got NONE. Sent the lot back, absolute disgrace.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:34 am 

I went to a rather large store with all the fine wines that they offer, it is fairly close-by to my grandson's home, and we enjoyed having him for the sunny week-end.

For MSB fans, VM Clifford Bay 2013 could be acquired for £10.87, pretty good offer for an NZ sauvignon blanc, on this vintage, that has achieved the highest ever score from BC of 95. Low stock.
Not for MSB purists, yet the single vineyard Brent Maris offering on the TTD label "River Block" was reduced from £11 to £8.50 x 25% = £6.37 and clearly worth a try on this 2013 vintage.

One of my favourite supermarket clarets for QPR on this wonderful HM vintage , Chateau Barreyres CB haut medoc 2010, low stock but can be bought for £9.75, keep looking, only small amounts on the shelf, Paris inter silver.

Mel's recent Sains article with favourite pics:- Reds
Chateau Tanundra Oz red blend (claret mix + malbec splash) 2012, £9 net. Keep looking, only small amounts on the shelf
The Priorat 2011 £8.25, tall bottle, also low stock.
Xanadu Cab 2012 also for £6.37, good stock levels.

The Lacoste Borie 2007 Pauillac, was down to £18 net, if you want an early maturing bigger name.

I think most of Mel's stars from both recent articles were there. There is also a usefull and well received TTD Gigondas 2011, IWC bronze £9.75. I missed the Premier cru 2005 champagne on the black label, IWC gold £18.85 net, I think ???

My visit was highly successful. I was jolly pleased with my haul.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:44 pm 

6x Bollinger for came out at £21.00 a bottle great buy me thinks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:40 pm 

MedocMad wrote:
6x Bollinger for came out at £21.00 a bottle great buy me thinks

Is it really? I cant help feel the price includes the cost of marketing two brands, Champagne and Bolly. There are a lot of well made sparking wines out there for under £16, Im not convinced the quality of entry-level Champagne reflects the high price asked.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:05 pm 

I bought Aldi's highly rated Champagne for a reduced price of £9.99. Mel loves it. I thought it dilute and simple with no biscuityness ( I know this isn't a word but I like it so up yours spellchecker ) and not much fruit.

I also bought the CoOps' own label Cava for £5.99 and it was full of biscuity, lemony, citrus..

Very good it was.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:57 pm 

Goosegogs wrote:
with no biscuityness ( I know this isn't a word but I like it so up yours spellchecker ) and not much fruit.
I also bought the CoOps' own label Cava for £5.99 and it was full of biscuity, lemony, citrus..
Very good it was.

'Biscuityness' sits well with me. Will try Co-Op Cava next time I'm in.

Led a small group up your way on Sunday. Usk, Aber, Raglan, Aberdare, Porth, PontyP.
Got attacked by bald sheep on the B4059 (smashing road).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:13 pm 

Have you been further west. Ogmore by Sea is stunning and full of sheep most of which you can hold onto.........but there's plenty of bald ones if you prefer. And the Gower is way beyond beautiful but a long way from the safety of the Severn.

Avoid the CoOp Cava rose for £6.49 as it's all sharp raspberry. A really bad wine. Serve the white Cava warmish for the height of biscuityness. Too cold and it's just lemons.

To all fish lovers. Aldi's 400g ( 4 100g fillets ) frozen, vacuum packed yellowfin tuna for £2.99 are absolutely gorgeous and staggering value.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:46 am 

Goosegogs wrote:
Have you been further west. Ogmore by Sea is stunning and full of sheep most of which you can hold onto.........but there's plenty of bald ones if you prefer. And the Gower is way beyond beautiful but a long way from the safety of the Severn.

Tiz within range, but really only one way in/out. We hate m-ways and big roads !
Back through Treorchy, HoV, Cwmbran would be too far for a one-day wobble.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:18 pm 

Goosegogs wrote:
I bought Aldi's highly rated Champagne for a reduced price of £9.99. Mel loves it. I thought it dilute and simple with no biscuityness ( I know this isn't a word but I like it so up yours spellchecker ) and not much fruit.

Very good it was.

You did Well G - My misses paid £11.99 for that Aldi shampoo. We found the shampooo on the correct side of ordinary, no faults, yet no favours. So, for a tenner (including a perceiced shampoo tax rate, actually paid) that is . . . . . . . ..

GK is right when considering shampoo QPR, but then, a particular taste wanted, requires a particular cuvee, and I'm certainly not is the business of deciding the depth of other folk's pockets for wanting a particular style. One or two of these high end supermarket shampoos on the right vintage, represent excellent QPR, and some of the hopeless (artificial discount) horrors wheeled out for Christmas, are, what they are ! Bucks Fizz Fodder.

Fizzy treats - Mel enjoyed the Krug (£15 more than Bolly & DP grand annee) at the end of the Sains MW session, versus the Dom Perignon which was also fine - "horses for courses" is the best exit out of this one :wink:

Champagne talk: Of the big names, and at ordinary Brut NV level, I do remember a Pol Roger NV that was very memorable a few years back - Me on the day, the vintage years in the mix, the style :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:35 pm 

Goosegogs wrote:
Have you been further west. Ogmore by Sea is stunning and full of sheep most of which you can hold onto.........but there's plenty of bald ones if you prefer.

Coming home that way on a 'spirited' ride in a couple of weeks (if it's scorchio). Not reaching the sea though - Treherbet, Treorchy, Blackmills, Llanwhatsit and M4 blast back to civilisation.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:21 pm 

.....and again

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:37 pm 

I popped in on my lunch break and grabbed a case of the TTD Conegliano Prosecco, already reduced in store, plus the 25%, took the bottle price down to around £5.60. A very respectable sparkler for over the holiday period.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:36 pm 

Agreed GK. my wife is a big fan. I bought 9 bottles last week.
I may pick up a few more this weekend (offer runs until 8th or 9th apparently) although if previous years are anything to go by we may see another round of discounts in December prior to Christmas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:18 am 

Offer is in again. Runs until 9th Dec