It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:32 pm 

100% Field blend - old vines (mixed planting of up to 30 different varieties). This Vintage Port was produced from grapes of the oldest vines from the Quinta with an average age from between 40 and 60 years old. After a light crushing by a soft stainless steel crusher, the grapes were foot trodden in the old lagares for an average of two days at a temperature of around 20ºC with 50% stems. While using state-of-the-art vinification technology, the quinta has always retained its traditional foot treading method in granite lagares. The fermentation started with natural wild yeast and lasted 48 hours with temperatures rising to 28ºC. When the sugar level reached 8.5º Baumé the brandy was added to stop the fermentation. Winemaker ~ Manuel Lobo de Vasconcellos, Quinta do Crasto.
Available now, 297 stores, exclusive, cork stopper19.5%
14/10/2009

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:00 pm 

I have a dozen bottles, purchased when Sainsburys moved their private label from Quinta do Crasto to Symingtons.
Has anyone tried this yet?
At what age is this port expected to be at its best?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:24 am 

Hey, a newbie in the new year...welcome Dog.

'The beauty of the 2004 vintage is the symmetry these VPs deliver on the palate as well as the "approachability factor." Nearly half of all the 2004s I tasted, won't make for old bones but will make for very enjoyable drinking while they are young. And I am not talking about drinking them in 2007, although you certainly could enjoy the expressive upfront fruit profiles many will exhibit this young. But from about 12-18 years of age, (2016-2022) the '04s without the "+" sign in my notes, are VPs that will deliver lots of pleasure ... while in hindsight, will seem to have been purchased at an extremely reasonable price'.

Roy Hersh (2007)

If you have 15 mins then...Full Article

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:54 pm 

Thanks. As the port has been stored in the house (NW facing room) rather than in a cellar/temperature-controlled environment, I may try a bottle sooner rather than later!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:08 pm 

As suggested, I have opened a bottle to try. I must admit to being disappointed, especially as I have another 11 bottles! Currently the taste is dominated by the spirit and the fruit is very much in the background. I am hoping that the two may integrate better together if I keep the VP for longer.

At the same time, I also tried a bottle of Fletcher's Ruby Port (Aldi/Sogrape) that my daughter had bought. This was rather sweeter than the VP (presumably the "benefit" of blending) and better integrated. However, it had a strange "confectionery" taste that was redolent of a product from a factory rather than the fruit of the earth.

I wouldn't want to drink either the VP or the RP at the moment.

I distinguish both of the above from the Vesuvio 1994 that I opened at Xmas. This was proper vintage port with the great complexity that comes with age (although only 20 years old). Unfortunately I only have 1 bottle of this left!

On the storage point, the Sainsbury's VP has been stored in an unheated downstairs room. I was brought up in a house with no central heating, so we are not used to heating the whole house.

Any comments welcome.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:21 pm 

Welcome to the site D
Sorry to hear the VP is disappointing.
Any chance it's showing any better having been opened for a few days? Has it been decanted?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:56 pm 

I did decant it. It's a little more integrated a few days after being opened. Still a bit fiery.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:48 pm 

I’m a bit late to this thread but.... I had a bottle of the TtD 2004 VP just before Christmas, I found it a year earlier on a clearance shelf with a stained label- must have been close to a broken bottle, cost me a fiver.

From what I recall the VP was weighted on the lighter side with no excessive sweetness, well made and a splendid drop for what I paid. I don’t remember thinking it needed more time, get stuck in if you have some.