It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:24 pm 

Bloody hell ! Stop banging on about Sainsbury. It's out of my way and expensive. They do have lovely chicken crowns coated in rosemary and garlic though. And freshly squeezed orange juice with actual proper passion fruit in it.

But I will resist you all.

VMCBR is about as good as an Awatere Valley MSB gets. I prefer the blackcurranty Wairau but if you like a splash of tomato with your MSB then stock up.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:27 pm 

Tried visiting Bob Campbell's site to have a read up but it's now subscription only even to see old reviews

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:42 pm 

Shezza wrote:
6x VMBC worked out at £8.60 a bottle which seems a decent discount from £14 rrp. Tho majestic have it down to £10.50 or so at the moment

Picked up two Bellingham Bernard Roussanne on Mel's say so (along with other good reviews online)

6x TtD Prosecco for Patsy (although she's just said she's cutting back on drinking again to keep slim for weddings this summer)

Yes I agree. It had to be done at £8.62 a bottle (usually £14.99 I believe) I phoned the huge out of town mega Sains and a box of VMrCB was carried out of the stock room by a very obliging young lady. She was a star of course, because the shelf was empty, fortunately Sains computer records for store stocks are quite accurate.

The other wine I took a punt-on was the cheap Pessac Leognan, Ch Terasse de la Grave (spelling) on the 2012. The wine earnt a Deanter silver, this vintage on the left bank was riper inland in the Graves, and the fruit was picked before the 2nd week October soaking. So an educated guess may pay off. The wine was £16 less £3 less 25% so £9.75 for Pessac Leog. rouge is fine by me.

I have the Sancerre rose £13 in stock already, but I should've checked the vintage. The BB Roussanne escaped me - regrettably.

Job done

Claret speak . . . . . . .

BTW Shez, this bottle of Ch Bellegrave '09 Medoc is drying, there is bottle variance so please check your stock sometime. Still a very satisfactory claret, and I'm enjoying the wine this evening - however it is dropping (this bottle) some of its fruity succulence.

Chateau Le Beyan '09 Haut Medoc (Cru Artisan) is at the top of its game now, and holding wonderfully for a bargain claret, enjoyed massively on Thursday, 2nd day even deeper and more satisfying, great ripe cab dominance in this wine.

Enjoy your week-end folks - even a bit of Summer warmth this afternoon :)

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:51 pm 

Thanks Dunc.
I happened to have a bottle of the Bellegrave last weekend a found it drank very well. Didn't feel too dry (although I don't mind some drier clarets as long as they have the correct flavour profile to match)
Bottle variance like you say. I'll have to try the Le Beyan. I didn't particularly rate it last time I tried it so hopefully a bittle variance thing too

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:49 pm 

Shezza wrote:
Tried visiting Bob Campbell's site to have a read up but it's now subscription only even to see old reviews

Yeah . . . . .

Bob awards a 95 / 100 for the VMCB reserve 2013, but as you say, we can't see the written review.
Bob has had a penchant for VM Clifford Bay for quite a few years now, and marks it higher than other reserve wines in indifferent years, yet he's usually very close to our opinions. Good score, and a good buy.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:02 pm 

Bob's tasting note for 2013:
Bob Campbell MW (2013)95 pts
Pure and powerful wine with grapefruit, gooseberry, green capsicum, lemon grass and a hint of nettle. The wine gives a hint of sweetness on the initial impression then a long, bone-dry and mouth-tingling finish. Silken-textured with great mouth feel.

Found in the wine direct site: http://www.winedirect.co.uk/villa-maria ... d-bay-2013
Plenty of other good reviews on there too

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:20 pm 

Shezza wrote:
Found in the wine direct site: http://www.winedirect.co.uk/villa-maria ... d-bay-2013
Plenty of other good reviews on there too

Yep . . . . Sorry about the banging-on Mr G.

Indeed, thank you Shez. Very pleased with our 6 box '13. Good friends and I can now take one of my 2012 CB stocks in the cooler. Taylor's Pass is now also depleted to 1 or 2 bottles only.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:28 pm 

Back on again 'til 11 Aug :o :) :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:11 am 

Cheers Ba. Good to know :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:21 pm 

Mixed doz. just arrived. Treated myself to a Brocard.