It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:32 pm 

I opened a bottle for dinner, we were guests at one of my oldest wine friends, a guy I've known for nearly 35 years. He likes a less dry Rioja.

I have to say the Alta GR 1995 was asleep. We could not rouse it before bedtime, we sat down at about nine thirty or so, started the wine at 22:00 after one hour open, 30 minutes in the glass.
The wine had no real spice, vanilla was almost absent and the predominant cherry flavour was very linear, boringly so. Too soft on the palate and little real structure. No cut on the palate, No forest floor either. Great colour, still vivid cherry red all through, and kept in the dark by me for more than a decade. No complexity at all, nothing memorable, solid linear cherry was quite long though, but slightly medicinal on the nose.

Well, well. Not a dud, probably not a fake. I wonder why bottle development has been so constrained ? I was suspicious of the minimal sediment in this 19 year old rioja - almost like a very modern factory filtered wine ! A very fine ring of black dust is all it threw from being upright for 48 hours, nothing on the glass side from 10 years in the cellar.

A big letdown and such a disapointment actually. So as Chris, on his wine doctor website says below..... We wait for another 10 years "just that my palate would much prefer this in perhaps five years, but more probably ten (or more years)
Does this wine impress with potential ? I may report back in 2024 - - - - - - - - - it is a long haul, and CT reports appear to be seduced by the prestige attached to the bodega. Hmmmnnn.

By Chris Kissack
December 2010, (link) 17.5-18+ points(La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 904) A dense colour, its visual impact is one of youthfulness; it has some tones suggestive of maturity but for a gran reserva this still looks dark and red at the core. This character persists with the wine's aromatic and gustatory profiles; on the nose it remains sweet with rich, black fruits tinged with vanilla, highlighted by high toned, slightly gamey, green-black olive, plum-skin notes. The palate is full and rich, well endowed with dark fruits and a little raspberry too, with the spicy, coffee-tinged sandalwood of oak. Slightly dry tannins running through the core of it all, showing around the sweet almost chewy fruit with its pastille-like intensity. This is a wine that impresses with potential rather than pure pleasure, although that is not to say it isn't good for drinking now; just that my palate would much prefer this in perhaps five years, but more probably ten (or more).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:08 am 

This is what Parker said recently,

The 1995 Gran Reserva 904 exhibits an aged appearance belying its vibrant perfume of cedar, pencil lead, mineral, leather, black cherry, and blackberry liqueur. The epitome of elegance and style, on the palate the wine is silky and seems to dance across the palate. The tannins are unresolved but this wine has enough balance to drink well through 2015.

Either I have bought 2 fakes, 10 years ago. Or there is a huge bottle variance ? Which I do not believe, I think Chris Kissack may have consumed a 1995 Alta 904 rioja wine more resembling our experience 3.5 years later. His TN ends, rather like our TN started ! There was no perfume of cedar or pencil lead, I should know, I've done loads of good left bank claret, the black cherry - not found, yet it was ripe fruit for sure.

I don't know what to make of it. My bottles were picked out of a wooden case in pristine condition, I did not see someone remove the 2 boards and wire nails from the top though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:37 am 

Dunc

Totally gutted for you on this wine !!
We had a 96 about 2-3 years ago which blew my socks off.
95 should be really good so not sure whats happened to the wine.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:35 pm 

Thanks Rich, gutted were my thoughts the next morning, when he said, "Dunc, you could sell the other one and turn a handsome profit !" And, "did I know that some professionals think 1995 is turning out really well and improving"
We left with more than 40% of the bottle still vacuvinned in his larder. My good friend has not rung me since, to say that the left over wine blew him away on Sunday or Monday - so, not even a sleeper !

How odd is that ? Even my dear Misses said the nose was slightly medicinal, and not gamey at all :( I always test the nose, even on those who do not take red wines, to see what they find. I do agree with Parker that the silkyness was remarkable.

My cellar balance sheet has been in healthy surplus for quite a while - so this failure does not linger.

cheers